Sunday, August 16, 2009

Super Powers



A year ago I began putting together a storyline for a graphic novel. With shyness in one hand and full-blown curiosity in the other, I asked some friends what super power they would choose if they could pick any power on land, in the sea, over land and sea, on this Earth, in this galaxy.

I was moved by the responses. Through them my friends provided small photographs of their lives at the time, framed by interesting tidbits about themselves that only might otherwise emerge during a game of 20 questions coupled with a round of cocktails.

A few friends asked if I would share what others said. I agreed, started the email, and never finished. So, herewith I share what super powers some would choose, not just to gift themselves with a talent, but to crack through the bubble they/we all live in to affect people in a more extraordinary way, let's say, than allowing someone with less groceries to cut in front of you at the grocery store.

I would read auras. Then I would be able to read people's intentions and see what kind of people they ACTUALLY are...me entiendes? No foolin' with auras.

If I could choose only ONE super power...I think it would be to have the ability to zap people and make them happy...without them realizing I did it, and at the same time, for it to feel totally natural for them, inside their minds/hearts (and for that happiness to be easily re-channel-able). If I could have one other one, I would, in a BLINK, be able to be some place else (like near a loved one right away). This one works particularly well for me tonight, where everyone I love is not near at all."

EASY...complete control of time and the physical properties that would result. I have given this lots of thought. So for example, if I could slow things down to half speed, then the force would be 4 times greater due to the laws of physics. I would not want this to always be the case. Imagine if you slow things down 100 times such as making bullet move at 13 miles an hour...then each action would generate 10,000 times the normal force. So, even touching someone would be fatal. However, when people stop time completely, than all molecules would be held in place and no damage is done. However, I have always wondered how people are able to move when even air molecules would be like fixed cement...hmmmmmm.

To be anywhere I chose to be, at any time. Flying, transporting, whatever. To be able to go where I wanted whenever. A form of escapism I guess.

Actually for me this is a really easy question. Ever since Leadership Edge I have put some thought into it and I decided that I would most like the ability to teleport anywhere (this was also before the lame movie "Jumper"). Not only to any place, put also to points in the not so distant future. But not the past, that would be too much power in any individual person. All people have their breaking points when they do something bad, and going into the past to change your present is one of them. But I think being able to teleport, while subject to some risk and threat of abuse, would be such a fun power to have since all T-Birds are global citizens and love to travel. Added bonus by the way, you would reduce your carbon footprint to almost zero! Al Gore would approve.

So, without thinking about it I immediately said Teleportation so that I could go anywhere in the world (and possibly in time) that I wanted to in an instant. BUT this has me thinking a lot about the whole superhero phenomena...I think the nature of a superhero (hero being the operative word) is that at some point they use their power/s in the service of others. What I would find intriguing and unique in a superhero is to exploit what has been traditionally viewed as womens' "powers". What if you explored things like intuition or healing or love supersized?

I would fly. To speed over traffic and leave leave less of a carbon footprint.

Without a doubt, the super power I'd pick would be the ultimate gift of persuasion. I don't know if that counts as a super power, and if it doesn't, then I'd go with my second choice: ability to speak/understand/read/write any language on Earth.


What would your super power be?

1 comment:

  1. Invisibility.
    Clearly invisibility is the winner.
    Invisibility greatly reduces the need for money, social skills, and clothes - because you are invisible, not your clothes.
    Which leads me to my first point. One thing that drives me crazy about people that claim to ‘think about this a lot’ is they really haven’t. I’ve thought about superpowers. To the extent that I almost expect my superpower wish to be fulfilled one day because, if there is a super being, I think said being realizes that I, of all people, understand the idea that with great power ACTUALLY COMES great responsibility.
    Anyhow, these ‘superpower tourists’ who claim to have though about their ideal power really never consider the fact that hey have only ONE superpower.
    Let me go on. When you really start dissecting the superpower fantasy, most people’s first choice is an abject failure. Let’s take probably the most common superpower chosen: flight.
    When people think about the ability to fly, they naturally think Superman. But let’s think about Superman. Yes, he has the ability to fly, but he is also the Man of Steel. So if he hits a bird in mid-flight, no problem. But your average Joe that has flight status isn’t also made of steel. Remember, you have one power, and it is flight. It isn’t flight and the ability to withstand a bird-strike to the face at 50 mph.
    And bird-striks are just the first issue. For those that believe they can fly higher than birds, my response to them is: Really? Ducks and gees migrate at altitudes a little over 15,000 feet. So you are now going to fly at 16,000 feet. While you will likely have enough oxygen to survive, you will freeze to death unless you make a suit that is designed to withstand extremely cold temperatures, not only from the actual temperature, but from the windchill as well. Enjoy your hypothermia. Flying is stupid.
    And this goes for mind reading too. First of all, there is nothing more voyeuristic than wanting to know what is going on in someone’s head. Why in the world would I have wanted to know if the girl I was talking to, with the hope of enjoying a physical exchange of goods and services, was thinking after the firs thing I said came out of my mouth? How fucking distracting would that be? Have you ever tried to carry on a conversation when someone behind you in a coffee shop is pouring their soul out to their friend. Its impossible. So my life would be a series of fragmented conversations with the person I’m talking to while I’m also listening to what is going on in their head. I get exhausted just thinking about it.
    So I think I’ve made a clear case for invisibility. Of course you would still need these social skills and some access to money, but not nearly as much as you would need if you had to build a suite and oxygen mask. And think of all the things you could do. Want to go to Iraq? Walk right pass security, get on an airplane and you are there. Want to sit in on a meeting in the oval office? Done. Want to hang out on a yacht in the Mediterranean? No problem. With tele-porting, you still have the awkward moment where you show up somewhere and your not invited. Isn’t it better to simply not need an invitation?

    ReplyDelete