Monday, May 25, 2009

El Guincho, In A Large Tall Glass, With A Wedge of Lime



Taste is mostly smell.

At least that is what scientists collectively agree on, but no one knows exactly how the mechanics of smell work. It's about as baffling as Paris Hilton's popularity, and almost as perplexing as her repeated need to wear shitateous headbands.

I'm not particularly interested in how smell works; I'm just happy my sense of it is intact. But, every now and then I have moments where scent and taste acutely and amusingly commingle -- like downing a cup of eggnog, only to feel as though I were drinking Old Spice cologne (the haute couture scent of 80's discount retailers, and a personal favorite of my Dad's during my youth).

Another commingling example, and tell me if you don't agree: ever thought that undoctored Gingko Biloba tea tasted the way it might taste to lick the side of a tree? Like bark?

And here's one all you Catholics might agree on: the communion host, consecrated or not, seems to have the piquancy of high quality card stock. And look, I remember eating dirt out of plant containers as a kid, and have cloudy memories that I do not encourage of chewing on construction paper for kicks, so I should know.

It all gets really interesting, however, when a song actually hints at flavorful notes that have crossed your palate once or numerous times.

This is why I like El Guincho, a Spanish musician, so much. His songs sound like the taste of a Seabreeze (1 1/2 oz vodka; 4 oz cranberry juice; 1 oz grapefruit juice; mix in a cocktail shaker with ice, and serve in a tall glass with a wedge of lime).

I'm not exactly rhapsodic about fruity cocktails, but I have been to some high caliber bars in Puerto Vallarta, where the humidity and sunsets make a quality fruity cocktail an integral part of the vacation experience, and can therefore thrillingly bear witness to the potency of a well-made fruit-infused cocktail.

Just like the refreshing cool of a sweet, but not sticky sweet, Seabreeze, El Guincho's carefully crafted melodies are are fun and tasty, the beats solid and joyful, and after the last drop, leave one enthusiastically calling out for "one more".





No comments:

Post a Comment